SAFE Food Packaging Conference 2018
16 May 2018
On May 16th, 2018, SAFE helped organise a European Parliament roundtable on food packaging in the framework of the LIFE programme 2018-2019. The event, entitled “Food Packaging and the Circular Economy: making health and environment a priority”, was hosted by MEPs Pedicini and Turmes.
The Conference aimed to tackle the environmental and health concerns relating to food packaging with Health and environment experts, as well as NGOs and EU officials invited to discuss best practices, as well as address challenges and opportunities in achieving the priorities put forward by the recently adopted Plastic Strategy of the European Commission. Related topics discussed included endocrine disruptors in food contact materials as well as the shortcomings of life cycle assessments in food packaging policy were also addressed.
- Sara Lewis (Moderator, EU Food Law)
- MEP Piernicola Pedicini (Greens/EFA)
- Claude Turmes (Greens/EFA)
- Floriana Cimmarusti (Secretary General, SAFE)
- Alice Bernard (Chemicals Lawyer, Client Earth)
- Alberto Mantovani (Research Director, Italian National Health Institute (ISS))
- Meadhbh Bolger (Resource Justice Campaigner, Friends of the Earth, Europe)
- Anna Hageman Rise (Communication Director, Fazer Lifestyle Foods)
- Baastian Schupp (DG SANTE, European Commission)
- MEP Margrete Aucken (Greens/EFA)