SAFE is honoured to be named a European Climate Pact Ambassador under the European Climate Pact. This appointment by the European Commission comes as a recognition of SAFE’s work in the fight against climate change through its actions in the area of food safety.
What is a European Climate Pact Ambassador ?
European Climate Pact Ambassadors designate individuals or entities that aim to make a change in the domain of climate action, by supporting and developing initiatives that help mitigate climate change while also educating individuals on sustainable practices. According to the European Commission, the role of an ambassador is to :
- Reach out to people and/or organisations who are not yet involved in climate action
- Inform, inspire and support climate action within their communities and networks
- Lead by example in climate action and in environmental protection
- Become a bridge between civil society, interested stakeholders and the European Commission
What SAFE does
In light of the interconnection between food and the environment, SAFE has ceaselessly strived to promote sounder consumption habits and more sustainable agricultural practices through concrete initiatives seeking to :
- Fight food waste, by promoting stock-free organic farming and organizing weekly food distributions to over 600 people in need.
- Raise awareness on safety issues associated with unsustainable food package, all-the-while promoting eco-friendly alternatives by providing our local community with over 3 000 reusable food containers.
- Share knowledge and foster good practices, by holding workshops on sustainable agriculture.
European Climate Pact Italy (EuCliPa)
EuCliPa is a community of Italian ambassadors of the European Climate Pact, an initiative launched by the European Commission in December 2020 as part of the Green Deal and aimed at involving civil society in the active promotion of climate-friendly behaviour and policies. The group has been set to coordinate and propose common actions to maximise energies and help fighting more against climate change.
EuCliPa has scheduled a series of 10 monthly webinars addressed to citizens to
- generate widespread awareness on climate change with a specific reference to the Italian context
- inform about the values of the Climate Pact,
- introduce the public to the Italian ambassador community,
- promote the candidature of new ambassadors.
SAFE is actively part of the group and closely follow the development of these online events that are part of the “All4Climate Italy” Ministry of Ecological Transition initiative linked to Pre-COP26. The first of these events took place on 3 March 2021. SAFE was speaker at the event hold in May 2021 to explore the connection between the agrifood sector and its impact on climate and biodiversity.
Finally, EuCliPa is designing a short guide addressed to Italian schools, showing concreate actions to undertake in order to better adapt to climate change. Thanks to the support of the national coordinators supported by the European Commission, EuCliPa is designing:
- a ‘letter-appeal’ addressed to the national media to urge a more intense and informed media coverage on climate change and the effects of global warming in the Italian context.
- A monitoring action, through Visual Activism techniques, of the climate adaptation commitments made by the mayors who signed the European Commission’s Covenant of Mayors for Energy and Climate. This action is aimed at a subsequent involvement of citizens through actions currently being defined.